Saturday, October 4, 2008

Low/no lactoseTiramisu

So, because of my new found difficulty in eating various foods, I was (and still am) going through a phase of feeling depressed about all of the stuff I can't eat and all of the stuff that I may, in the future, be unable to eat. But I am working on devising yummy things that I can eat. I hope that it becomes a creative outlet, and I hope to share my recipes and ideas with others suffering from the same issues. My very first recipe that I have concocted (not yet tried, but will soon) is a low/no lactose Tiramisu. For those of you that don't already know, Tiramisu is an Italian dessert that contains coffee of sorts. I believe Tiramisu means "pick me up". But anywho, I saw a recipe for it that sounded super easy, and I changed things around to suite me. So here goes.

Ingredients:

1 cup of your favorite coffee (make sure it's something that you can tolerate. For example, flavored coffees would be great, but read the ingredients). If caffiene irritates you, try decaf.

12 crushed vanilla wafer cookies, sugar cookies, or ladyfingers. Choose whichever suites you. I know there is at least one roll of sugar cookie dough that you slice and bake yourself that is dairy free. Also, the pillsbury sugar cookies (for halloween) are dairy free as well.

1 cup or so of Coolwhip, thawed (MUST BE COOLWHIP BRAND! This is important. Again, double check your labels, but the generic brands I have encountered contain dairy products, whereas the Coolwhip brand dous not)

Garnish of choice- If you can tolerate the slightest bit of chocolate, try just a little of grated chocolate or chocolate sprinkles. If not, try a little cinnamon or another sweet spice. Or be creative. I have problems with milk chocolate, but reading the back of the cocoa pebbles box, I discovered that it doesn't contain dairy, and I eat it just fine. So perhaps crushed up cocoa pebbles? lol.

Directions: Place crushed cookies or wafers into bowl, pour in coffee, and allow to soak for 2 minutes. When done soaking, carefully scoop a bit into the bottoms of parfait glasses or serving dish of choice. Top with a layer of coolwhip. Then add another layer of cookies/wafers, and then another layer of coolwhip, and so on, until dish is full. Top with garnish and serve.

Tips: For extra flavor, try adding an extract into the coffee or coolwhip. For example, if you're ok with cocoa, try getting a chocolate accented coffee, and add a little orange extract into the cool whip. Chocolate and orange, yum-o.

Once again, I have not yet tested this recipe, but I will post an update about it when I do.

No comments: