Saturday, October 18, 2008

I <3 food!

So, one of the major changes in my life since being diagnosed (well, before actually being diagnosed, but I think you know what I mean) is the big change in diet. Diet is (usually) a big part of treating crohn's disease. This manifests itself in the low fiber, low residue diet. This ultimately means that I need to avoid whole grains, dairy, and prunes. I also have to avoid fresh fruits and veggies. But wait... I recently talked to my nutritionist and she said, with the exception of citrus fruits and pineapple, I should be able to eat other fruits, so long as they are seed and peel free. So. This excites me. Now, people with crohn's have a very individualized tolerance to different foods. Some people with crohn's don't develop a lactose intolerance (unfortunately, I have). I've heard of one person being sensitive to poultry. So what works for one, might not work for another. It's a whole long, nasty process of trial and error. But if any of the recipes I've discovered or concocted helps one other person, then I'd say it's worth it, no? Me thinks me see another blog coming on...

2 comments:

BrightSide said...

Ooo yay- another Crohn's blogger! I added a link to your blog from mine (I'm also a 20-something girl with Crohn's.. *sigh* there seem to be so many of us...).

Looking forward to following your blog. :)

~Bright Side

Autumn R. Broughton said...

Thanks for the link. Hopefully I'll be blogging more in the future, to keep you entertained. :)