Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I have learned the error of my ways...

Sorry to be so neglectful of this blog, but here's an update on life as Autumn.

So, right now, I'm on 9 mg of entocort a day, and... 4 capsules of pentasa, however many mg's that is, I don't recall. I also have tramadol (spelling?) for pain. So, I had been feeling a good bit better, but was taking 1-2 pain pills a day (still am, for that matter). I have several more weeks of entocort, and quite a while, if not forever, on pentasa. I haven't really experienced much in the way of side effects so far (thank goodness). Sadly, I can tell by the signals my body is sending me that I'm still not fully in remission.

So, in addition to my medications, I had also really been watching what I eat- until Halloween, when I decided I deserved a little treat. Now, for the past several years, it has been tradition in my family to order pizza for Halloween. But, I thought to myself "if I'm going to eat something that I probably shouldn't, I'd rather have a salad"... so salad it was. I didn't feel too bad right off- no running to the bathroom- just a little grumbling, and a bit of cramping. The next day, I felt ok, and... well... I had some dairy products. ... Needless to say, it caught up with me, and I have not been feeling so well. Maybe if I had stopped at the one splurge, but I guess I got greedy, or lazy, and over did it. What can I say?

I'm still learning to control my diet, and I feel this process will probably take a while. Let us hope that I will have better will power in the future.

I do have good news, though. My weight is finally on the rise. I'm back up to about 116 pounds, so that 120 mark isn't too far off. Then just 15 more pounds after that, and I'll be back to a pretty healthy weight. Yay :)

I am thankful, though, that I went out and had a good Halloween, before losing control of my diet. I went trick-or-treating this year (I'm not too old- there's a whole spill about this on my myspace page), and even though I probably can't enjoy much of the chocolate, it was a lot of fun, and people really loved my costume. I'll reveal what it was in a picture as soon as I get them on the computer. Also, I appreciate the candy is so many different ways now- the non-chocolate stuff (hard candies, gums, taffies, licorice, etc) used to be considered the crap candy. But these same candies now come to my rescue when I want something sweet- I'm even retrying the candy that I hated as a kid, to see if my taste buds have matured. But in addition, I also appreciate other aspects of the candy, like smell, and appearance. I intend on keeping the most unique and colorful wrappings and turning them into a collage. I'm also taking a bunch of old easter candy (small, hard-ish candies, like skittles and sweet tarts) and turning them into a work of art, by gluing them into place to spell something out. I'm thinking of "Don't worry, be happy!" - which I feel, being made of candy, would convey a good, lighthearted message.

Meanwhile, I'll be doing some reading and taking it easy (hopefully) for the next couple days.

No comments: